Creating a successful sleep strategy is important to achieve deep, quality sleep every night. By learning some common barriers to good sleep, you can create your perfect plan for a wonderful night’s rest. Follow these tips and you’re on your way to dreamland. Your brain and body will thank you.
1. Go to bed around the same time each night. This will help regulate your natural sleep rhythm and train your body to fall asleep quickly.
2. Establish a consistent bedtime routine. At least 30 minutes before bedtime, get into your pajamas, wash your face, and begin to relax. Maybe read something inspirational.
3. Don’t eat anything 2 hours prior to sleep. Not only will this help from a weight loss perspective, but also can help you get to sleep faster.
4. Make your bedroom really dark. Sleeping in total darkness has been shown to increase the duration of deep sleep, or REM sleep. This form of sleep is the most restorative.
5. Don’t watch TV in bed. Not only is TV content often to stimulating to watch right before sleep, falling asleep with the TV on prevents your body from moving into deeper sleep.
6. Avoid going to sleep angry with your significant other. An old saying and very good advice to help reduce stress and help you fall asleep more easily.
7. Turn the temperature down in your bedroom. Cooler temperatures can enhance your breathing and allow for a more relaxed sleep pattern.
8. Consider a new pillow for your bed. Sleeping on your back in considered the best position for sleep to maintain physical health and appearance. Find the pillow that helps you become a back sleeper.
9. Avoid caffeine in the evening. Caffeine is a stimulant and can prevent your mind and body from winding down. Opt for a decaf herbal tea or some flavored water.
10. Meditate. Focus your mind on simple positive thoughts to help you drift off to dreamland.
Try these sleep tips and evaluate what works best for you. Deeper, longer sleep can help slow aging, reduce your risk for cardiovascular disease and lower stress levels when you are awake. Sleep well.